Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Does Size Matter?

When it comes to paintings, yes and no. Miniatures are big on the market, often detailed, gorgeous, and sometimes less expensive. Extremely large sofa or wall sized paintings are popular too.
  The following is a tip for artists who'd like to do very large works, but simply don't have the space to do them.
  Why not do little paintings in a very big way? Lately, I've worked mostly with 11x14's. Commonly accepted is the idea that portraits be about 75% of actual size up to actual size. Well, I like them bigger than that. For myself, I find more room for the detail I love to paint when I oversize works.
    This is an early stage of  my latest painting in the Black and White Series of a hand. It's an 11x14" photographed with my own hand beside it to show the scale of this work. This painting, while on a small canvas is "larger than life," so to speak.

This way of painting wont be for everyone. There is the issue of having more space to fill where there may not be much detail in your subject, but noting subtleties of color and light and shadow can fill those spaces beautifully.
   Here's the finished piece:


"Hand Of A Friend"
11x14"
Acrylic on Canvas



No comments:

Post a Comment