Friday, September 16, 2011

Unfolding Plans vs. Preparation

Here is an example of what happens when I don't thorougly plan a painting ahead of time.
     I loved the duo toned shadow under my own legs in a photo, and wanted to paint it. I wanted the legs to be substantial. I wondered what background might add to this and thought of a colloseum, you know something of visual weight.

I was bothered by the empty space on the lower left, and started wondering what, besides square pavers might fit into a square. I asked several people and got great input even though they weren't told what the squares were for. hehe.! I had to try the sink idea!


It was ok, I guess, but it put me in mind of bathing. I showed them the painting, and asked what they thought, and someone asked me it if went with my, "Theme."
"Theme." I quoted, "That would be a good thing to have!" I had no idea where I was going. I just wanted a painting of the shadow of the legs. I covered the sink and stared hoping something would mentally appear in that space. 




Someone suggested a water drain. I thought it appropriate. Surely this would be a good thing to have among pavers.....but it didn't work in my painting...


Sighs....I was "Back to Square One.".....
no..I covered this as well.




"Rats!" I thought. "I wish I'd had a theme to begin with!"......
There was my answer.

"Colluseum Rat"
16x20
Acrylic on Canvas


I figure, if I know where I'm going, enjoy the journey, but if I don't know where I'm going, enjoy the journey. hehe

tina jones







4 comments:

  1. Awesome, Tina! Isn't it wonderful how things just come to you? I like it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elle, It is, and usually happens when I just let go. Life stuff there to me. smiles. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is *so* cool to get talked through your thought process like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MarsulialMama,
    Thankyou, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm always interested in how others come to creative decisions and their painting processes too.
    thanks again, tina

    ReplyDelete