Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cancer: Things I didn't know that may help you.

Following are my experiences and the best of my understanding.

Cancer cells are your cells that have lost their progamming, and they are weak cells. They die while people usually don't during Chemotherapy and Radiation, because these are designed to make all cells sick. The cancer cells are weak enough to die from the treament while most of of your other cells survive.
  Cancer cells grow quickly to make up for their weakness. Other quick growing cells like hair may die too during chemo and radiation, but these normally return to normal production after the treatment is stopped.
   I've read different information on sugar and cancer. It goes to extremes. My experience is that I had not eaten refined sugar in years, and the cancer that was removed from me was roughly 3inches in diameter. Diagnosed in January2010 and surgery in April 2010, it had not grown. and it was a "medium" growing cancer. Had I been eating refined sugar, I might not be here. At the very least, sugary foods should never replace nutrient rich foods. Some nutrient rich foods can actually help prevent cancer. (Link to the Mayo Clinic's information)
   The American Cancer Society suggests that, NO, sugar doesn't feed cancer, rather it creates a situation where cancer can develope. Studies are always ongoing, but if a food lke refined sugar has no benefit, and creates an environment for cancer growth, why do it?

"Sugar

Does sugar "feed" cancer?

No. Sugar intake has not been shown to directly increase the risk of getting cancer or having it progress. But sugars and sugar-sweetened drinks add large amounts of calories to the diet and can cause weight gain, which can affect cancer outcomes. There are many kinds of sugars, including honey, raw sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, and molasses. Many drinks contain sugar, such as soft drinks and fruit-flavored beverages. Most foods and drinks that are high in sugar do not offer many nutrients and may replace more nutritious food choices. For this reason, limiting sugar intake is recommended"
 Above quote from this page: http://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivorshipduringandaftertreatment/nutritionforpeoplewithcancer/nutrition-and-physical-activity-during-and-after-cancer-treatment-answers-to-common-questions

   Another quote on sugar and cancer from Pam Stephan at About.com:
 "Processed sugars such as white or brown sugar and corn syrup should be avoided or limited. Consuming too many sugar calories can lead to obesity and high insulin levels, which would contribute to your increased cancer risk."
  Above quote from this page:
http://breastcancer.about.com/od/cancerfightingfoods/a/cancer_sugar_myth.htm

   Cancer happens as the program (dna) print wears out, like when you keep making copies from copies of a document. Eventually you end up with something that is no longer readable. Things that prematurely age the cells, therefore can cause cancer. One of these things is a low oxygen environment. Imagine how you'd struggle to survive with little oxygen. Cells do the same thing. Ways to have a low oxygen environment are smoking ofcourse. Lack of exercise to get oxygen to the cells is another. If you have a respiratory condition that limits your oxygen like asthma or emphazema, treat it and keep treating it. Meditation involving controlled breathing to oxygenate the body is good. It not only provides oxygen, it can reduce stress markedly. (stress ages us quicker too!)
    Ofcourse there are other causes like over exposure to sun. I'm someone that has always felt lethargic in direct sun and heat. I had had a heat stroke before and a few sunburns. My cancer was Squamous Cell Carcinoma (Sun Cancer). If you think that only appears on areas exposed to the sun, guess again. One can get a bad sunburn one day and years later cells that ran out of programs prematurely can show up anywhere. Mine did.
   How to get cancer and keep it growing: Don't exercise, eat sugar and other high carb foods instead of high nutrient foods, smoke, get a good tan, don't treat asthma/bronchitis/emphazema and don't exercise or meditate. There are other ways, but that's a start.
   
  The word, "inoperable" is sometimes relative. I was told that I  had "stage 3, inoperable" cancer. They said they could not do the surgery, because of the location of the cancer, and that it "was not done." A second opinion got the surgery done, and I am whole. Ofcourse this won't alwasy be an option, but second opinions can save lives.
   I was also told by the first Doc, that I had to have chemo and radiation. That I had to "come in five days a week for five to six weeks." I'd told them this was a 40 minute drive for me, and that I could barely stand, couldn't get out of bed daily, much less drive and get around a facility while becomming progressively sicker and weaker through the treatment. It was an impossibility for me, as I had no one to drive me or help me get around there or at home, and had that been my only option, I wouldn't be here....Point: If the Doc you have is not listening, MOVE ON.
  Money:  I had no insurance, and had applied but it was to go in effect six months after I was diagnosed with cancer. I had been in pain for near a year before the diagnosis, and held out four more months after it. (READ: 16 months of pain...Do not put off pain, ever!) The surgery had been perscribed to be done as soon as possible, and it was going to cost a horrendous amount of money which I simply did not have. What I learned through the urgings of a friend and not from the docs or hospitals is that if you pay ahead and ask, they will take off up to 1/3 or more of the bill upfront. The total expenses that were to be welll over $20,000.00, costed me less than $9,000.00, and I happened to have that. If you do not ask, they will charge the full amount. The surgery was done within days. It saved me two months of increasing agony, and probably my life. Here is more information on financial assistance from About.com:
http://cancer.about.com/od/treatmentoptions/a/cancerfinancial.htm
  Fear of a thing is often worse than walking through it.  In my case, the surgery was extreme and painful, but at no time following the surgery was I in as much pain as I was when I had the cancer in me.   
Take no one's word or experience as fact, especially not mine! Your situation may be quite different, and I am no professional. I'm just someone who survived cancer.
    Look up information, take notes and take them to your doctor. ASK a lot of questions, and if there is any doubt, ask again. Never assume that any one person can know all there is on any subject. Get second and third and fifth opinions if necessary.Annoy people if you can with questions. Ask important questions, embarassing ones and ridiculous ones. Just keep asking!  If you present a question or a treatment you've heard of that the Doctor has not heard of, he'll look it up and learn it. It could save your life and the lives of future patients.
   Be tough with your questions, firm with your decisions to take care of you, and gentle with your body.
   With much love,
tina jones

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Tina-I am happy to be the first to comment on this. One of my siblings (David) died from his cancer treatment-my other sibling with cancer survived. The 'difference'? She's a 'fighter' and he was 'too gentle' he didn't fight. Oh how I grieved for him and for the condition of my spirited sister. But I JOY also! That I still have her although she has been mightily wounded in her battle to survive-she is so precious! SO are YOU! Thanks so much for writing this piece-you have shared your journey and someone else will be better informed and survive as a result. I cannot say "Thank you" enough-I sincerely mean it. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreamgardens, Thankyou so much for your post. I feel it will be an inspiration to others. Many blessings to you and your dear family.
    In admiration,
    tina jones.

    ReplyDelete